Feb 17, 2010

Something for 2010-2011 BFA Candidates

I wanted to throw this up now hoping that some of the current Digital Art Students who are looking to apply for the BFA would see this. This is something that I wish someone would have told before so I would have hit the ground running.

Many of you probably have a lot of questions about what this 5th year in Portland is all about. Well, a lot of it is self driven work that YOU (thats right YOU) are interested in. It is about doing projects that you have thought of but never had the time to accomplish these last 4 years.

I would say not to come in with a very set goal of what you are going to do, but with the mindset that you will produce a lot of work.

The classes are as structured as you make them! For our class we meet twice a week and share weekly what we have been working on and how our projects have advanced in 7 days. We also share side projects like the Lip Sync videos Liz Bayan and I make. Daniel, Nawal, Chris and I made a collaborative t-shirt brand called Dull Pen and sold some shirts at an auction. I am also continuing my work from that show of the PDX Streets and will hopefully get the Upper Playground store in Portland to sell them. Another goal that I set for myself was to make 1 new vinyl character a week, sadly I have failed myself. I am about 6 weeks behind on characters, but still will keep the goal.

I would say my big thing is keep busy and keep doing what interests you. The last 4 years you have been handed projects and if you were like me you didn't do much outside of the required projects. Now is the time to make up for that slacker mentality. Unplug yourself from World of Warcraft and go make an illustration about the time Michael Salter told you that he picks his nose.

This is a very jumbled collection of thoughts that I have thrown out and I do apologize for the poor arrangement of the English language that I call my writing.

I hope you are showing this at the lecture that is happening right now (feb17, 5:46). Anyway good luck and CHECK OUT OUR BLOGS it is good insight to how the year works.
AND START YOUR OWN BLOG, not for others but for yourself. ITS PRETTY MUCH A FUCKING DIARY ONLINE USE IT. IT HELPS.

thanks bye